Who says eating low-carb is boring! These rolls are inspired by my Zucchini Rollatini (one of my favorite low-carb dishes!) only with a Mexican spin!
We love zucchini all year, but with summer coming to an end soon I am trying to cook it as much as possible. These turned out fabulous, my homemade enchilada sauce is a must for the best flavor!
You can use leftover rotisserie chicken, or make it yourself in the slow cooker by covering the chicken breasts with just enough water or broth, then cooking high 4 hours. After that shred the meat with two forks and proceed with the directions.
- To cut the zucchini thin I recommend using a mandolin. This is the one I have (affil link).
- I grill the zucchini strips on a grill or grill pan before rolling to prevent them from getting to soggy, and it also makes it easy to roll.
More Zucchini Recipes You May Enjoy:
Low-Carb Zucchini Enchilada Roll Ups
These Zucchini Chicken Enchilada Roll Ups are filled seasoned shredded chicken, topped with enchilada sauce and cheese. Delicious, and perfect for Keto, gluten-free or low-carb diets.
- 1 3/4 cups homemade enchilada sauce
- 2 large (14 oz each) zucchini, cut lengthwise into 12 (1/4-inch thick) slices
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 8 ounces cooked shredded chicken breast (from rotisserie chicken)
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 2 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 3/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- sour cream, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Spread 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Cut the zucchini lengthwise, into 1/4-inch thick slices until you have a total of 12 slices about the same size. It’s easiest to do this with a mandolin.
- Season both sides of the zucchini with 1/2 tsp salt and pepper, then grill on a grill pan over high heat to help dry out the zucchini, until pliable and grill marks form, but not fully cooked, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onions and garlic on low until soft, about 2 minutes. Add chicken, salt, cilantro, cumin, oregano, chili powder, 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce, and cook 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spread 3 tablespoons chicken on each slice zucchini. Roll up slices and arrange them each seam side down in the prepared dish.
- Top with the remaining enchilada sauce and Mexican cheese blend and tightly cover with foil.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and melted.
- Drizzle with sour cream, if desired and garnish with cilantro.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 3 roll ups
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 5
- Points +: 6
- Calories: 225 calories
- Total Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 46.5mg
- Sodium: 947.5mg
- Carbohydrates: 19.5g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sugar: 7.5g
- Protein: 22g
All images and text ©